Thursday, July 31, 2014

Homemade Enchilada Sauce



Mmmm... my family loves all Mexican inspired dishes (and our Tex-Mex) and enchiladas are such a versatile dish, I can get my family to eat them with chicken, beef or even beans/vegetables. Now I know that traditionally, enchilada sauce does not even contain tomato sauce (instead you use chiles as a base) but this NON traditional sauce is quick and DELICIOUS! I have been trying to use less canned products and this is a perfect solution that my family loves. 

1 cup low sodium tomato sauce
1 cup low sodium chicken broth
2 tablespoons whole wheat flour
2 tablespoons canola oil
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 tablespoon chili powder
½ teaspoon salt

1. Heat sauce pan to medium-high. 
2. Add oil and flour and stir until it reaches a nice brown color (about color of peanut butter). 
3. Then, add tomato sauce and chicken broth to pan and stir well.
4. Last, add brown sugar, chili powder and salt. 

This mixture makes about 2 cups, which worked well with 8-10 enchiladas for my family (I used 1 cup mixed in the enchiladas and the rest to top the enchiladas before cooking). However, my husband loved the sauce so much he wished there was more! 


Makes 2 cups (each serving about ¼ of cup): 101 calories, 2 g protein, 9 g carbohydrates, 1 g fiber, 7 grams fat (1 g saturated) and 146 mg sodium. 

Does anyone have a more traditional sauce they love as well? 

No comments:

Post a Comment